If you have recently found yourself in a caring role or even if you have been caring for some time, there are probably questions you would like to ask, but don’t know who or where to go to for the answers.

We have listed some of the more common questions our carers frequently ask us and hope it will help you in your caring role.

If you cannot find the answer you are looking for on this page or anywhere on our website, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01429 283095, email: staff@hartlepoolcarers.org.uk or via the Contact Us Form on this website.

Q: How do I know if I am a carer?

A: You are a carer if you look after, or help to look after, a family member, friend or neighbour who needs help due to mental ill health, substance misuse, disability or illness. Both children and adults can be carers. The help carers give is informal and unpaid, you would not be considered a carer if you are a professional who has been employed as a care worker or a foster carer (unless you are fostering a child with a disability or special need). You do not have to live with the person you care for to be considered their carer. You do not have to be the only, or main, carer – a person may have several carers amongst their family and friends.

Q: How do I get paid carers to provide care to my relative so that I can get a break from caring?

A: For personal care such as washing or dressing, light meals and helping people in / out of bed, please contact Adult Social Care Telephone: 01429 523390 Email: iSPA@hartlepool.gov.uk

Q: What is a carer’s assessment?

A: The assessment is an opportunity to discuss with your local council what support or services you need. The assessment will look at how caring affects your life, including for example, physical, mental and emotional needs, and whether you are able or willing to carry on caring.

Q: What is the eligibility for Carers’ Allowance?

A: The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

Personal Independence Payment – daily living component

Disability Living Allowance – the middle or highest care rate

Attendance Allowance

Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

Armed Forces Independence Payment

You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

  • you’re 16 or over
  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
  • have been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years
  • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
  • you’re not in full-time education
  • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
  • you earn no more than £110 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension) – don’t count your pension as income
  • you’re not subject to immigration control

Q: How do I claim Carers’ Allowance?

A: Contact Carers Allowance Unit using the following contact details.

Carers Allowance Unit
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2AB

General enquiries

Email: cau.customer-services@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

Telephone: 0345 608 4321  Textphone: 0345 604 5312

Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm, Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

Find out about call charges

Q: What are Direct Payments?

A: Direct payments allow a person who has been assessed by social services as being eligible for support to receive a cash payment to arrange and pay for their own care services rather than having them provided directly by social services. Anyone aged 16 or over who is disabled, a carer or has parental responsibility for a disabled child and who has been assessed as needing community care services is entitled to receive them in the form of direct payments. Although direct payments should always be offered no one should be forced to receive their services in this way. If you are currently receiving community care services you can request to be transferred onto direct payments at any time

Q: Where can I find information about Benefits or Grants I am entitled to?

Please give us a call and we can provide up to date information.

Q: What is the Care Act?

A: The new Care Act, which came into force on 1 April 2015, gives carers rights on a par with the people they care for, which includes an entitlement to an assessment of their own needs. The Act also created new duties for councils to identify carers in their community and protect their health.

Local authorities (LAs) have a general responsibility to promote individual well-being.

Personal dignity.

Physical, mental and emotional health.

Protection from abuse and neglect.

Control over day to day life, including what care and support is provided and how.

Participation in work, education, training or recreation.

Social and economic well-being.

Domestic, family and personal relationships.

Suitability of living accommodation.

The individual’s contribution to society.

Q: What is the Children and Families Act?

A: The Children and Families Act (2014) aims to ensure that all children, young people and their families are able to access the right support and provision to meet their needs.

  1. I am a carer and my loved one is in hospital. How do I get help at home prior to them being discharged?
  2. Not everyone who has a hospital stay gets help at home when being discharged. If you feel you need help, whether it be with care at home, or equipment such as rails, commodes etc and this has not already been discussed with you, you need to ask a member of staff on the ward for a discharge co-ordinator to come and see you.

What do Hartlepool Carers do?

We provide support to unpaid carers in Hartlepool who look after a wife, husband, mum, dad, child, brother, sister, friend or neighbour, due to age, physical or mental illness, substance misuse, or disability, who could not manage without their help.

To access our service, simply register and complete our short referral form.

All we need is a Name, Contact Number, Referrer’s Details and Carers’ Consent.

Register Now